Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Deer Season 2009

It's a little early for me to write a report on the success of the 2009 deer season since it is still in progress, and continues for me and for Michael on Friday and Saturday of this week, but opening weekend is now behind us so here is an update.

As some of you know from a prior post, Michael and Abbey took and passed hunter education in October. This allows Michael the ability to hunt from his own stand (separate from me). He did just that on opening weekend and saw several deer but didn't get any shots. Though it was a cloudy weekend with some rain, Willie, Michael, and I all hunted and I was the only one to kill a deer that weekend. Though it was a small deer, I felt lucky to get it after the weather we had. My uncle Randy, however, had much better luck, killing two deer on opening day, a buck and a doe.

Here are some photos from our first weekend.


On Friday, November 13, shortly after Michael arrived at camp after school, we made this campfire.

Even though this wasn't the biggest deer I've ever killed, I was glad to get one with weather so foul and on Michael's first day hunting in his own stand during "big deer season." It was a button buck.


An overview of our campsite. Willie drives the Ford Explorer and I have the GMC pickup



Here is Michael getting ready to head back to the stand for the afternoon hunt. This picture was taken on Saturday.


A moment of relaxation in the camper. Pay no attention to the mess or all the Mountain Dew bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment